Wednesday, March 10, 2010

GMO Wheat Acceptance Hinges on Public Benefit

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5560KI20090607

This is a picture of a stalk of wheat.

Picture found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenny_barker/3750628251/






Nickel, Rod. "GMO wheat acceptance hinges on public benefit." Reuters. Reuters, 07 Jun 2009. Web. 10 Mar 2010. .

  • It is hard or scientists to find a direct benefit in GMO's for the public, because some consumers are wary.
  • Europeans are at least a decade away from accepting bio tech food.

  • The goal was to create wheat that people with ceiac disease could eat.

  • Countries such as Canada are waiting for other countries to approve of GMO foods, until they decide whether or not to allow it.

  • GMO's would be a last resort in India since the consumers are very wary of what they eat there.

Reflection

From this reflection, I have come to think that Europeans are stubborn when it comes to many things, including GMO's. Most likely GMO's have already made it into many of their food products so I wonder why they don't just allow the GMO's with extensive checks on all foods. I was surprised to learn that soe people cannot eat grains, because of a disease in their bodies. I decided to choose this story to review because I find it odd that people won't accept modified wheat that helps defeat diseases and I wanted to research the story a bit more. I'm sure that I'm eating GMO's right now in the food I eat everyday, as are millions to billions of other normal people. I wonder if other opponents of GMO's realize that. I do realize that some GMO's are not good for humans and can be dangerous if abused. I hope that one day, all foods are same and consumable. This has definitely taught me that GMO's, something engineered genetically, has to be very specific to work well. Otherwise, it just makes everything worse for people who are unaware of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment